Wednesday, May 23, 2012

A Day in the Life

I did a lot of stuff today, though I'm not sure I have much to say about it.  Mom came to visit, and we went to Tamarind, Flavor of India for lunch.  Tamarind's lunch buffet, although small, is absolutely fantastic, and in fact, it is still winning my and Friend Sarah's Indian Lunch Buffet blog ... contest?  I don't know if it's a contest since there's nothing to win, but we've made it a point to visit several Indian lunch buffets and assess them critically and rank them, and Tamarind is winning.  So, you should probably go eat that.  Also read about it, here.

This was Round One of Indian food.  Not pictured: the goat I ate during Round Two.

After lunch, Mom and I went to the Strip, where I chiefly shopped for provisions for the upcoming Trailer Weekend.  Sarah's parents own a trailer -- though it's really nice, so I think "foundationless house" is a more accurate term -- up in New York, near Salamanca, and last Memorial Day Weekend Ted and I and Sarah went up to western NY and really enjoyed ourselves, so we booked The Trailer for this MDW as well.  If you want to read about last year's trip, you can do that here and here.

After that I dozed off on the couch.  Then I went to Casbah for their wine happy hour, where Ted met me.  I'm a huge fan of Casbah's happy hour: $6 a glass for really good wine.  Is it cheap?  No.  Is the atmosphere good, the service great, the wine delicious?  Yes.  Am I bougie?  Sure, everyone knows I'm a snob.  So there you have it.

SO MUCH DELICIOUSNESS.

While there, I informed Ted that we had two dinners for the next two nights based on my visit to the farmers' market on Monday and the Strip today: pasta with swiss chard and a Parma sausage, and stewed beet greens with a Parma sausage and some Mancini's bread and butter.  Which means one night between today and Saturday we have to go out.  He chose tonight, so we ate out at Point Brugge, which is one of my favorite places to get dinner in the city.  It's not cheap, but it's a good value for the quality.  We shared the cheese plate, with sausage (also Parma), which tonight turned out to be smoked meats -- YUM.  Then Ted got their chicken sandwich, which he loves, and I got the moules frites, red curry.  1) Best French fries I've ever had, anywhere, hands down, no other contenders.  2) The curried mussels are amazeballs.  Go there and eat them.  Also, excitingly, they had a beer I last had several trips ago at Pizza Paradiso in DC on the drink menu tonight, Saxo from  Brasserie Caracole, which I was super pleased to drink again.  Such a cute label!

That snail knows how to play the saxophone.


Now we're at home, and I might have a tiny Trader Joe's ice cream cone for dessert.  I love summer.

2 comments:

  1. This post just makes me wish I could be in Pittsburgh right now. To eat with you and Ted. And go shopping in the Strip. Seriously. Just wish I was in Pittsburgh right now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know that I am hugely in favor of you and Frank moving to Pittsburgh and moving in next door and baking bread for me. So far the awful old people next door haven't died, but there is a small, nice, newly renovated property for sale half a block away. THINK ABOUT IT.

    ReplyDelete