Monday, May 14, 2012

Battleshots and Local Leafs

It was an eventful few days.  I've been celebrating my 30th birthday for over a month now, and this Saturday I had a birthday party.  Good friends came, Friend Sarah gave me a hot pink immersion blender, and Battleshots went over gangbusters.  I've got a leftover growler full of Washington Apples shots that are just going to have to get drunk, oh noes.

BATTLESHOTS.

Friend Neilbert brought me these lovely fleurs from his own garden.  Yes, that is a very happy carrot in the background.

Getting ready for a party is always daunting, but Ted is a good husband and he cleaned the entire house. In return, I brought him Greek food from the last day of the St. Nicholas Greek Food Festival in Oakland.  SO FUCKING GOOD.  The next Greek food festival is in the North Hills and starts on the 24th -- I'm planning a tiny road trip.

How do you know it's Greek? Columns.

Lamb, chicken, pilaf, green beans, spanikopita. Not much to look at, but so damn good. There were also amazing pastries.  HONEY. WALNUTS. GLORY.

Sunday was sort of a day to recover.  I wasn't hungover but I was exhausted, because the last guest left at 4:00, and then we couldn't find Matilda.  We combed the entire house, and then, fearing she'd escaped when a guest came in or out, Ted went to look outside.  An hour later she emerged, we still know not from where, looking at us like nothing was amiss, even though we'd been calling her and calling her and she hadn't even come out when Ted opened a can of food.  Kids.  Sheesh.

She looks so innocent. :-/

An Irish Boxty from Piper's Pub helped me right myself on Sunday.

Today I went out with my mom to celebrate Mother's Day.  We went to lunch at Jimmy Wan's over in Aspinwall, which has a nice lunch special, and then went to see Dark Shadows -- her pick.  It wasn't very good.  I think Johnny Depp and Tim Burton are just doing things to amuse themselves now, without consideration of, y'know, movie audiences.  After that we stopped by the first Monday of the East Liberty City Farmers' Market.  This time of year it's a lot of leafs, but leafs are tasty.  I came away with  Swiss chard, red kale, beets, potatoes, onions, asparagus, and the most delicious little strawberries.  Now I have to look up what to do with Swiss chard and beet leaves; I'll let you know what I find.  Finally, Mom and I went to Casbah for a happy hour drink -- mmm, gin and tonics.

The Farmers' Market haul.


Tomorrow I've got nothing in particular planned, though I think I'm going to take a trip to the Strip District for a few non-vegetable groceries.  I'm looking forward to a basically unstructured day; last week was busy and this week is busy, too, and I have yet to start a single project besides, predictably, the Summer Reading List.  Tomorrow I also plan to start Ian McEwan's Atonement -- I'm sure you'll hear about that when it's done.

Oh, and as a kitty update, Chief is still snorfley, but his follow-up vet appointment out at PVSEC is on Thursday, so perhaps while we're there we can get some help with that.  And I'm pleased to report that Floyd -- who spent the entire party hanging out with everyone on the couch -- made friends with Friend Mark J., who is a gentle and patient soul, and who I think is an excellent choice for Floyd to bond with.

Aren't they cute together?



2 comments:

  1. Wish we could have been there for the party - we had to travel the weekend before it just wasn't happening again. That's disappointing about Dark Shadows - I've seen the previews and I've been wanting to see it, but I'll save my pennies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's OK, you can make it up to me some other time -- like maybe when I'm like, "Hey, I'm gonna use your apartment like a beach rental!" ;) Yeah, Dark Shadows was not good. Even my mom was like, Bleh. I feel like maybe Johnny Depp and Tim Burton need to just step away from each other for a while.

    ReplyDelete