Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Adorable Robots, Enormous Lambs, Brain Eating Amoebas

Today was a good day, right up until I became convinced that I was going to die because of brain eating amoebas.

For one thing, the last student issue of the term was resolved via email, which means that the term is officially over.  Also, I finally heard from Chief's vet, and his spinal tap was clear, so it's really probably Idiopathic Vestibular Disease that's bothering him, and God willing, he'll be basically OK in a little bit.

"You can't see me."

For another thing, today is my sacramental anniversary. Four years ago, on the leap day, February 29, Ted and I eloped to the courthouse.  He had proposed to me over the New Year's holiday in 2008, and we had figured we'd have a cheap but regular wedding.  But then I got a job with health insurance, which Ted hadn't had for himself in like, five years.  So we were eating lunch together downtown on a Wednesday, and I was like, "Well, as soon as we're married, you can go to the doctor's," and he was like, "Let's get married."  So we walked up to the courthouse and applied for a marriage license.  I called Judge Alan Hertzberg, whose election campaign I'd volunteered for, and asked if he could marry me that week -- the soonest legally possible day was that Friday.  His office was like, yeah, sure.  Turns out that Friday was February 29th.  So we went up that day and got married.  You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnMAbUxMFPk

But I'm Catholic, so, y'know, we still weren't married in the eyes of Jesus, or whatever.  Point is, we had a wedding mass and a kickass party the next year, on May 8th.  So, five anniversaries in four years: I'm a genius.

But then I got some tap water up my nose, and I'm a little worried I'm going to get brain eating amoebas.  I got water up my nose because I was washing up in the sink, because our roof is leaking into our bathtub -- thank the god of small favors! -- and I don't think it's entirely clean, y'know?  And it was raining like the dickens today, and I didn't want to take a shower in the roof/attic drippings.  But if you look into brain eating amoebas, you'll see that tap water up your nose can be a very dangerous thing, so.  (I have the same hysterical fears about rabies.  No I don't know why.)

But before I die in 1-14 days, I got the most awesome anniversary/birthday present ever from Ted.  A Keepon!  Here's the strange thing: I'm good friends with a girl (Sarah) who dated the roommate of the guy who invented Keepon.  But even though I was in that house a number of times, I never got to see Keepon.  This irked me to no end.

But then Ted, the Best Husband Ever, bought me a Keepon.

KEEPON.


Please, look how amazing Keepon is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g-yrjh58ms

Oh, and also he took me out to dinner tonight, to Casbah!  Look at this damn lamb shank!

With polenta and English peas.  YUM.


I thought lambs were tiny.  Sheesh.  Anyway, it's been a good day, and we're going to finish it off with $6 sparkling wine, and if I die in 1-14 days ... well, I told you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment